The Vote For Scottish Independence

Good morning to you all – as I type these words, the time is 01:29, on Thursday 18th September. I have work in 6 and a half hours, and right now, I can’t sleep. Well, I can, but Manfred Mann is playing on Spotify, and I’m reluctant to stop it…

In approximately 5 and a half hours, the polling stations will open, and the people of Scotland, no matter what their nationality, will begin to vote on whether they want to become an independent country or not. Benny and I wrote about our opinions on this vote HERE and if you haven’t read it, please do, ESPECIALLY if you have the chance to vote, but haven’t yet.

Now, despite having written that long article, I feel the need to do a very short piece, right here, to add a few minor points.

  1. No matter what happens, I’m becoming more and more aware that we’re on the edge of a cliff, and in all honesty, I don’t know whether it will be a yes or a no vote that will push us over the edge, but I do know that we’re only barely hanging on. I don’t want to fall off the edge – I’m actually in a fairly strong position in life, considering my age, even having some job security (something people my age should never even think about having!). The last thing I want is for whatever decision is made, to destabilize our lives, risking my future, and the future of my yet-to-be-born child.
  2. I still believe that democracy is being made a mockery of – according to BBC news, Scotland make up 4% of the UK’s electorate, meaning that this 4% is being given the power to make a choice which will HEAVILY impact the rest of the UK, when the 96% is unable to do anything but look on. THIS IS NOT DEMOCRACY!
  3. If you are in Scotland, and you have yet to vote, I ask only one thing – think about your vote, and if you don’t know what to do, don’t do anything. Just because everyone else is voting, you don’t necessarily have to. You can abstain. I’ll respect you either way, but please don’t vote for something you don’t believe in. Not this, not that, not even me. Please…
  4. Finally, whatever decision is voted for, I’ll be happy to support. I mean it. If the majority want something, I’ll be more than happy to let them have what they voted for. I’m an advocate for democracy, no matter what the outcome.

I may be live-blogging the news coverage of the “results”, so keep an eye out, and for everyone on either side of the debate, good luck. I truly mean that.

That Guy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.